Ubisoft, a video game producer and distributor, acknowledged on Friday that it had been hacked early this month. According to the gaming company from France, a “cyber security incident” caused brief delays to the gaming firm’s games, systems, and services.
Ubisoft has over 117 million active users and is recognized for popular games such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and Rainbow Six Siege. The Montreuil-based firm said it was conducting an inquiry into the incident and has implemented a company-wide password reset as a precaution. In an article published on its website, Ubisoft said that it could also confirm all of its games and services are operating as usual. It further added that no proof of any player’s personal information being accessed or disclosed as a result of this event exists at this time.
The news of the intrusion comes after a slew of high-profile hacks in recent weeks that have targeted NVIDIA, Samsung, Mercado Libre, and Vodafone. While the extortionist gang LAPSUS$ has taken credit for these attacks, it’s unclear whether the group is also responsible for the Ubisoft hack. According to the technology news site The Verge, which broke the story first, the criminal gang appears to admit their participation. It’s worth noting that LAPSUS$ hasn’t been as loud about seizing credit as in previous incidents. Unlike other ransomware gangs that steal and encrypt confidential information in exchange for a ransom, LAPSUS$ extorts money from its victims by stealing sensitive material and keeping it hostage, threatening to expose it if their demands are not met.